Saturday, March 3, 2012

The $1,100 Bone

Please let this post serve as a Public Service Announcement.
Do not give your dog beef bones.

Our guy Tucker was treated to his first beef bone.  And last.
The next morning he started choking up what looked like little Indian arrowheads, or slivers of the bone.  And soon after, he began coughing and spitting up.  And not eating.

After two x-rays, a barium scan, blood work and three medications, we think he'll be fine.  

My husband said he grew up feeding beef bones to his dogs.  So did our vet.  But all it takes is one bone to go down the wrong way and cause irreparable damage. Or worse.

So as our boy lays in the warm sun today and recuperates, we are grateful that all it cost us was money (a lot of it!) and not his life.  

Milkbones for everyone!


  1. Growing up we also gave our dogs meat bones. I remember our one cocker spaniel getting them tangled in his belly. He almost died. We don't do that anymore.
    I hope your nany gets better soon.

  2. OH, bless his heart and thank goodness he has owners that love him dearly. Also hope you are doing well.

  3. Oh look at that sweet, sweet face... I agree... I wouldn't give Nicky real bones at all. SO glad he's okay!! I just love that guy. :)

  4. I'm so glad to hear your dog is doing better. Thanks for the warning. I just caught up reading your latest post. I'm afraid I hadn't visited your blog since January. I hope you are doing well. The story of the missionaries in Africa brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful story of faith and the power of prayer.
    P.S. Last year I started a small buisness from home making and selling Organic dog treats. I'll send you some.