Sunday, December 16, 2012

For the Tough Times...


While I was ordering turkey at the Gelson's deli counter on Friday, a man asked me if I had heard the news about the shooting in Connecticut.   I did.  But I didn't want to talk about it.  Didn't want to think about it.   A few hours later, my girlfriend called me crying.  She was crying because she felt blessed to be picking up her daughter from school.   

It's been three days, and I choose not to watch anything on tv about the tragedy.  I can't.   Or to read the yahoo updates that are flooding my computer screen.  I just can't.   All I can do is pray for peace for those who lost a loved one.

Today I ran into a thrift store on the way to a friend's house.  I found myself looking at the hundreds of books on the shelves. My eyes locked onto one with yellow words.  "For the Tough Times" by Max Lucado.  Yep, this would be the book I would need to read today.  I just finished it.  I wanted to share the last few paragraphs with you.  

The last chapter is called "Do It Again, Lord."

"Most of all, do again what you did at Calvary.  What we saw in this tragedy, you saw there on that Friday.  Innocence ended.  Goodness suffering.  Mothers weeping.  Evil dancing.  Just as the shadows fell on our children, the darkness fell on your Son.  Just as our world has been shattered, the very child of Eternity was pierced.

And by dusk, heaven's sweetest song was silent, buried behind a rock.

But you did not waver, O Lord.  You did not waver.  After your Son lay three days in a dark hole, you rolled the rock and rumbled the earth and turned the darkest Friday into the brightest Sunday.  Do it again, Lord.  Turn this Calvary into an Easter.  

Thank you for these hours of prayer.

Let your mercy be upon all who suffer.  Grant to those who lead us wisdom beyond their years and experience.  Have mercy upon the souls who have departed and the wounded who remain.  Give us grace that we might forgive and faith that we might believe.

And look kindly upon your church.  For two thousand years you've used her to heal a hurting world.

Do it again, Lord.  Do it again.

Through Christ, amen."



2 comments:

  1. Yes, do it again Lord! Beautifully stated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've chosen to steer clear of media as well. This is beautifully stated, Ruthie. I'm going to repost.

    ReplyDelete