Monday, October 17, 2011

Faith in the City...



The Blind Faith Cafe in Evanston, Illinois.
Was that a perfect place for me to eat, or what?

We got home late last night.  On the ride home, we all agreed that this trip ranked as one of the best vacations we've ever had.  So great, that our kids want to return every year.   Even I loved it so much, I didn't want to come home.  And that says a lot, because I'm always ready to come home.  

Our first stop was the Block Center.  Ed's Uncle Bob and Aunt Julie came in to Skokie and watched the kids for us as our appointment was about six hours.  That was an answer to prayer -- and I didn't even have to pray about it!

And since it's getting close to Halloween, I'll treat you to just one spooky photo...


They took 20 viles of my blood!  
(Ed also checked in as a patient and they took 16 of his.)

They use blood work to determine the best course of action in terms of lifestyle changes.  I should get back my CA125 number this week and the rest of the results in two weeks.

We met with an internist, nutritionist, psychologist and oncologist.  And get this - they mentioned they also had a patient from Westlake Village who happened to be in the next room!  So she popped her head in to say "hi", we exchanged phone numbers, and I look forward to meeting her for lunch one day soon.  What are the odds of that!   

So the bottom line is that they recommend I start chemo soon.  And I kind of expected that.  But I shared with them that I feel God will heal me without the use of chemo.  I'm sure they haven't run into too many patients like me before.  

Before my trip, my friend gave me a book to read.  In it, I found the verse, 

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope 
without wavering, for He who promised is faithful."
Hebrews 10:23

The day after my appointment, another friend texted me the same verse.  

How many verses are in the Bible?  Odds of that one being texted to me?  Yeah, you get it.

So after we got the doctor stuff out of the way, we headed to downtown Chicago.

This was the view from our hotel window.


And let me tell you, Chicago is my kind of town.
The architecture is stunning, the people are so friendly, and there are mums and kale everywhere!


They even have raw juice bars in their malls!


This was my lunch --
carrots, celery, beets and an apple!

After shopping at their 8-story mall, 
we headed to Northwestern University where Ed's Dad went to school.  It's in Evanston on the edge of Lake Michigan.  

This is their admissions office...


I would have gone there just for the building!

This is one of probably 200 churches we saw while driving around town.  They are everywhere!  And they are stunning!


And I could have moved into any one of these old homes...


Love the windows!


But this was our favorite home of all...


(Sorry, too much glare from the pond, but you can see the outline of the house).

This is Ed's aunt and uncle's house.  It sits on 7 acres.  It has no fences.  A pond.  A red barn.  Four miniature horses, 8 cats and one absolutely adorable Border Collie named Allie.


That's her playing football with the kids.

They filled their house with hospitality, Ed's extended family and birthday cake and gifts for Rachel's 10th birthday.  
We didn't want to leave.   

But we did.  And God so blessed us with a 
wonderful family vacation.  
And I have just as much peace as I did before we left.  I continue to praise Him for His healing and continue to ask Him to strengthen my faith.  And I will continue to trust in
Hebrews 10:23 

and Hebrews 10:35-36

"Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward, for you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise."

Thank you, Pam, for these verses that melt my heart.

And now ... I'm off to do loads and loads and loads of laundry.
A minor complaint after an amazing trip.

We'll talk soon...




1 comment:

  1. Ok...so this is just plain weird. Well, I shouldn't use that word...let me explain! Ive written you before...my husband fought prostate cancer for four years. We were blessed so much by your devotional book, necklace, etc. He was given a clean bill of health last month. Being in the "cancer" mode for so long, it's taken us weeks to feel normal again...but lately I've been drawn to researching plant based/whole foods. I've watched three documentaries this week alone. We've been juicing. All this to say, when I read your last two posts right now, I about fell off the couch!!! I DO think it makes so much sense! Scott is able to go off all his medicine in January. We are starting now to cleanse his body, and teach IT to fight any possible remaining cancer...God's way (I'm doing it too). I have nothing against conventional treatment..been there, done that...but now what? This is the way we are going. It's so cool to read someone else is thinking about it too. It was like a sign that we aren't crazy.

    Can't wait to read more of your journey, and what the place in Chicago tells you.

    Blessings,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete